Sunday, October 21, 2007

What if there are no coincidences in life?

Saw M.Night Shyamalan’s SIGNS yesterday for the second time…when I saw it for the first time some years ago…it was a complete bouncer…the other day a friend of mine was raving about his movies, so was hoping to watch it again to see if Signs made Sense at all. Luckily Zee Studio is running a Shyamalan Movie special this entire month… Voila! Was done with all my chores and there I was at 10:30 sharp.. Thank God! The India- Australia match got over right on time and INDIA won…yaayyyy!!! Brightened my mood as well.. and mom was mighty pleased to hand over the remote control to yours truly.. anyways coming back to the movie… Must hand it to Shyamalan for his brilliance in the usage of Pacing and Silence… When Mel Gibson retorts “Father…..please don’t call me father” that’s where I presumed.. the movie must be more or less about faith retrieval saga …..personally I am not that big a fan of sci-fi movies… Whatever little that I know of the UFOs and aliens.. this movie was rather amusing in the sense that the aliens in question out here had not planned beforehand. Aren’t they supposed to be super intelligent, visionaries well endowed with all the techno-gyaan?? But here they could be apparently defeated by something as simple as a pantry door?? They can’t stand water…hhmmmm..fair enough but hey!! Did it rain everywhere at once for them to call off the invasion?? These alien bodies who had actually traveled from god knows where, who had the capability to make their ships invisible ….didn’t they for once consider, rather ponder over the fact that they were about to invade a planet with 71% water??? Hhmmmm ..makes me question my faith in the UFOs hehehehe…
…what struck me most was the explanation he gives to his brother Joaquin Phoenix on being asked for a few words of comfort, …There are two groups of people in this world. Those who believe that there is someone up there watching over them, that someone will always protect them. For this group there are signs and miracles, no coincidences in life. The second group believes that the world behaves in a random manner. Good things simply indicate favourable luck factor. Deep down this group feels, whatever happens, ultimately they are on their own. And this is exactly what fills them with fear.
Which group do you identify with??

3 comments:

viggy said...

I am with the first group!
But it is a thriller. Every time the lights off your heart will beat faster!!

Sunisha said...

I think i might fluctuate between the two groups, as and when depeding on the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I think Signs was an absolutely horrible movie in which Night Shyamalan tries to do a lot more than make a movie. He just got carried away by the darkness and mysticism of the Sixth Sense (which was his only good movie, acc to me). Watch Donnie Darko rather...