Wednesday, April 30, 2008


For all the times I made you cry

The first time must have been when you held me
in your arms.
Dad says you almost cried a river.
I must have heard it a zillion times.
But every time seems like the very first.

My first word, my first step.
Each occasion was a celebration.
Though it was my first day at school.
It was you who waited with bated breath
outside the gate in the hot sun.

My nagging, my crying, my stubbornness.
You endured them all.
My lavish birthday parties, my shopping excursions.
You fulfilled them all.

When further studies abroad beckoned,
you let me spread my wings and pursue my goals.
I didn't want you to see me off at the airport.
As you'd embarass me in front of my friends by crying.

And now, as I sit here, seven seas away from you,
watching my daughter grow in front of my eyes.
I realize how many sacrifices it takes to raise a child.
And she's just 6 months old.

Dear Mom, I know I've been hard on you all along
Craving for your attention, day in day out.
You pushed aside your each desire, crushed your every dream
Held back your tears as if nothing happened.

For all the pain I caused
Sorry seems to be too small a word
I know I can't turn back the time
The least I could do is make sure
the next time you cry
the tears you shed be those of joy.

The other day, me and my colleague were taking an interview. My colleague asked the candidate, "what has been your best work so far?" . She promptly replied, 'Not yet!". I started thinking myself and dug out this ad. I gave my heart and soul to write this ad. It's about an oldage home. Thanks Maddy for coming up with a brilliant layout! :-)

5 comments:

Deepali said...

Very nice and I feel like hell now cause got into a fight with my mom just 1 hr ago.

Ah well I'll go apologize soon. She will forgive and forget thankfully.

Sunisha said...

Thanks deepali...

To tell you the truth, whenever I have a bitter argument with my mom... I read this in my mind... and then go ahead and patch up!

Anonymous said...

As usual good as ever...

I'm not the type who can read long post or poems i usually don't find them that captivating...

But your poems are special cases... I can either relate to them or totally enjoy reading them...

Sunisha said...

That was by far one of the best compliments ever.

Thanks, Subha!

Anonymous said...

Anytime :-)

Good efforts never go unnoticed.